Available programs vary based on season, availability of instructors, and other factors, so be sure to check out our Events Calendar each month to see what’s happening!
We are always looking for new class ideas and volunteers who are interested in sharing their knowledge and experiences with our patrons. If you would be interested in leading a program please contact us.
Smile! Your attendance at programs sponsored by the Millington Public Library may be digitally recorded or photographed for use on our website or social media. If you do not wish your image to be published, please notify a member of the Library staff before or immediately after the program.
The Library is committed to supporting families by introducing a love of reading, learning, libraries, and books in every child who comes through our doors. Our most popular program is Storytime, which allows children to have fun with books and interact with their caregivers and other children in a positive way.
Past children’s programs include:
- Craft Day
- Family Movie showings
- Summer Reading Program (annually, 1st Saturday in June through 3rd Saturday in July)
- Trunk or Treat
- Easter Egg Hunt
- Annual Tree Lighting & Pictures with Santa
Summer Reading Program
The majority of our staff energy and enthusiasm and our library programming budget is dedicated to our annual seven-week Summer Reading Program (SRP) in June and July. Past Summer Reading themes have been: Libraries Rock (music), A Universe of Stories (air and space), and Tails and Tales (animals).
People of all ages may participate, and parents are encouraged to participate and read with their kids. Participants receive Book Bingo activity sheets each week to log their reading and receive a free prize and chance to win bigger prize drawings.
The library is within walking distance of the Millington Municipal Middle and High Schools. We welcome students over the age of 13 to use the library during the after-school hours as a safe and comfortable space to connect to our wi-fi, do their homework, use our computers, or talk quietly while waiting for a ride home.
Teens in need of service learning hours for school can gain job skills and help their community through the Teen Service Learning program. Contact us for more information!
Past teen programs include:
- Teen Card Club (library sponsored, teen-run gaming club)
- Teen Cooking Classes
- After School Board Game Days
- Teen Movie Days
The Library offers a wide variety of free programs, events, and services for adults. One of our most popular services continues to be free tax assistance offered annually by the United Way, which runs from February through April.
Past programs for adults have included:
Arts, Crafts & Music
- Adult Craft Days
- Embroidery, Crochet, and Cross Stitch Class
- Ukulele Classes
- Free Tax Assistance from the United Way
- Free Medicare Enrollment Assistance
- Utility Assistance, Rent & Mortgage Assistance, Medicare Prescription Program & Family Support (through Shelby County Community Services Agency)
- Healthy Cooking Class with a University of Tennessee Health Educator
- Healthy Vegan Cooking
- Alzheimer’s Education for Caregivers
- Health Fair for Older Adults
- Computer Basics Class
- Email Basics Class
- Google Apps Class
- Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Research Assistance