Accepting gifts and donations is an important way for the Millington Public Library to benefit from the generosity of the Millington area community. Individuals who intend to make a large donation of books to the library (more than a few boxes) should call the library to ensure that the space is available to store the books.
Materials not added to the library collection may be put out for sale in our bookstore area. Bookstore proceeds come back to the library to purchase new books and other materials. Some books are also donated to the Veterans Hospital in Memphis or used to stock our “Little Libraries” in our Millington municipal parks: Oak, Aycock, and Lions. The Library makes every effort to ensure that donated items get put to good use. However, the Library reserves the right to determine whether a donated item is added to the collection, sold, discarded, etc. Donated items become the property of the Library and will not be returned to the donor.
Donated items must be in good condition.
The Library does not accept any books or other items that are dirty, moldy, smoky, damaged, written in, or in otherwise fair to poor condition.
The Library cannot accept any of the following materials:
- Condensed books (Reader's Digest) Encyclopedias
- Family bibles
The Library would greatly appreciate any of the following materials:
- Hardbound current novels (last 5 years) for recreational reading
- Non-fiction books with current information (not textbooks)
- Biographies and autobiographies (last 5 years)
- Children's books (last 5 years)
- Paperback books (last 5 years)
- Books of local interest
- Historical Millington area photographs or other items
- Media material: books on tape, DVDs, or music CDs